This is a map showing the possible location of the Goat Island or Yerba Buena Island Cemetery which began in 1852. It contained 98 graves and they were supposedly on the Western side of the Island. It was slated for removal because it was visible to tourists visiting the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition (aka World's Fair).

Edwin N. Thompson's "Defender of the Gate, The Presidio of San Francisco, A History from 1846 to 1995"*, mentions that the Navy cemetery on Yerba Buena (Goat) Island was removed to the Presidio National Cemetery around the time the Bay Bridge was built, along with the small cemetery at Camp Reynolds on Angel Island.




San Francisco Cemeteries Page Maps Articles

* "Defender of the Gate, The Presidio of San Francisco, A History from 1846 to 1995"; by Edwin N. Thompson. Copyright @ 1997.